January 1, 2007

wood you be mine?



I'm enamored of our red and white oak 18.5x2.25" strip wood floors. Alternating red and white oak were used a great deal here during the period my house was built. Longer strips of oak were becoming scarce, and the softer (and less attractive, imho) fir had become too expensive for economy dwellings. Our floors were dark brown when we moved in, so dark that the floor refinishing guy couldn't see the stains in the dining room. In most of the rooms, the floors are in good shape, with a few stains here and there. In the dining room, however, it appears that somewhere in the house's sordid past, someone kept animals and let them repeatedly urinate on the floor. Maybe there was carpet and it soaked through to the wood, who knows. But it was a disappointment to see large stains when we hadn't been expecting them. I guess I should be grateful that the refinishing sealed in the smell of 25 years of dog effluvia.

When the floors were refinished, they had to do quite a bit of filling, as the boards shrank over time, but there are very few places that the floor creaks, and very little damage to the planks. The refinisher said that they have only been sanded down once in their life, so they really cleaned up well.

What I love best of all in the floor is the grain patterns. Each plank is different. It's miraculous, really, to think of the way wood grows and striates and swirls. I like to stare at the floor and ponder the mysteries of the universe.

There is no place I like to mull said mysteries more than this place, the one plank that seems to be of different wood than the rest of the floor. It's in the living room, and it is in the middle of this photo (and in the middle of the photo above, which is of the same area).

Anyone know what kind of wood this is? Is it possible it is just a weird slice of oak?

And Happy New Year!

No comments: