
I've decided I want this stove. I probably won't get it, because we have no money right now and there are cheaper models that would work just as well. For example, a warming drawer? Handy, but highly not necessary. We live a streamlined life. We are academics, and I'm still in graduate school, so we really can't afford such luxuries as a warming drawer. Plus, it's one more thing to break down. Furthermore, we need to get $omeone to hook up the ga$ line under the hou$e AND vent the $tove, since the crapta$tic "vent" we had in the kitchen ceiling wa$ permanently di$connected when the electrician$ changed the outlet$. Are you $eeing the $ubliminal me$$age here?
It's way too expensive. But I want it! *stamps feet*
In that perfect world where I can pick out what I want and have it arrive at my doorstep the next day, I would still have qualms about the stainless steel finish on my new stove. I posted my profound thoughts about black appliances a month or so ago, and said we were leaning toward white. The problem I did not realize at the time was that our entire kitchen is currently white (why? WHY??), and it would make white appliances sink into a sea of white. See the white cast iron sink in the picture of our kitchen?
No? Well, that's what would happen with white appliances. Poof.
Consumer trends say to go with stainless for resale value. I'm afraid, though, that on top of the cleaning issues with stainless, stainless may become the next avocado green. Will people be turned off by the industrial, smeary look in a few short years?
Image of canisters courtesy of Cyber Attic.
4 comments:
You bring up some good points. I don't like SS mainly because of the years I spent working in restaurants. It does have an industrial look, and many people like that, which is fine. To me it reminds me of work, and that's the last thing I want at home. If I owned a sheik NY loft apartment I think SS would look great in a streamlined modern kitchen. Another issue about SS is not all SS is the same. Crappy SS rusts, and with this trend being so hot right now, unless you buy top of the line, there is a good chance you are going to start seeing rust on your SS appliances in 5 years or so.
Perfectly said RR. SS will be the avocado green of kitchens past! I hate SS because of all the smearing and attachment to fingerprints. The only SS item we have is a trash can and that is a pain in the a$$ to clean. I'm so glad I learned this problem before buying big SS kitchen appliances. I can't imagine all the fingerprints on a SS fridge. Gimme white and I'll be grateful for it!
Andrea
Thanks, Greg and Andrea. I really love both of your blogs.
I don't mind the industrial look of (clean) stainless. Its popularity might be that the other two options are so limited. With all the new softer woods and neutral kitchen colors out there, white seems a bit too bright and harsh, and black just sucks the color away. Bisque is just horrendous and not worth mentioning. Ahhh...decisions.
My Mom said the same thing about stainless steel - that it would go out of style but I don't think so and really as long as you like it...who cares what others think. :)
Post a Comment