I do not sew. My mother made my clothes (and most of her clothes) when I was little. We always had handmade Halloween costumes and never had holes in our socks, shirts, pants. I always thought sewing was cool, that is, when someone else was doing it.
My mom insisted I take sewing in high school as one of my two "domestic arts" electives. (Typing was the other -- twenty girls in Catholic school uniforms pounding away on manual typewriters. Ahhh...those were the days.) I went out and spent a fortune on rather ugly fabric. White cotton with pink and grey vertical stripes. And white cotton for the shirt to match the white and pink and grey striped ankle-length skirt. For these were the 1980s, and I was wearing pink and grey eyeshadow with blue mascara, and my skirt would have been a perfect match. That is, if it didn't turn out so ugly. Ugly -- in the 80s! Yikes. It was so bad I never wore it.
I hated sewing. So much so that I got in trouble for "not taking sewing seriously" and having a bad attitude. I got a B in sewing. It was one of my only B's in high school (math was almost as hard as sewing). I think it was a courtesy B, too, because I stunk.
Fast forward to 2007. I do buttons, but that's about it. I've been known to hem my skirts with packing tape and my pants with staples. I buy clearance $5 Old Navy cargo pants and have them hemmed for $7.
So, when I bought these curtains in dark red and these curtains in circle at Ikea, I liked the fact that they didn't need to be hemmed. (Ignore the British prices -- the curtains aren't on the USA site.) Instead of hemming, there is a little magic strip that you place over a folded up hem, and then you iron on the strip. The strip bonds the two pieces of fabric folded together and voilá -- hemmed!
The truth is I'm still so scared to do it that we've had super-long curtains bunched up on the floor for months now. I'm trying to get my courage up. Maybe today. Maybe tomorrow. My husband just finished rehanging all the curtain rods. Now's the time.
Ack.
4 comments:
Guess what - you can get that iron on hemming stuff at almost any sewing store, or even just the sewing or crafts area of a Walmart or similar store. I do sew and still that stuff rocks!!
Oh! it's called "stitch-witchery" or something like that. A sewing friend agrees with you. OK, maybe I'll be brave...
I had a costume that my mom sewed for me once. I wanted to be She-Ra and she refused to buy me a costume, so she took some hideous gold embroidery and sewed it onto a white sheet so that it spelled out "SHE" on one half and "RA" on the other. Cool? Yes.
Yes! I think I'll do that on my curtains.
Now I know where you get your costume talents from...hahaha! That's ok, I still <3 u.
Post a Comment