January 22, 2007

elementary school chairs!


I finally did it. After years of secretly lusting over those old plastic elementary school chairs, I bought four at Goodwill this weekend. They are salmon pink and chrome and comfortable and stable and gloriously unfashionable. They even have the word LIBRARY printed on the backs. I'm planning to use them for my kitchen nook and pair them with a chrome modern table. I love them. Mr. Reluctant, however, is not quite sold. I'll work on him.

I also bought a large framed piece of handmade, handcolored Japanese paper. It has a repeating pattern of rice plants. I can't quite yet tell if I like it or if it reminds me of one of those optical illusions in which you can see the number 76 or the outline of the Statue of Liberty. Mr. Reluctant feels a strong sense of dislike for this piece. I told him that we could hang it above the fireplace, and if it got ruined with smoke, he wouldn't miss it. It's a thought.


Lastly, I scored some lawn equipment -- a Scott Accuspreader for killing the moss that makes up about 75% of my lawn, and a hose twirler thing. I hate spending money for these kinds of plastic yard products new, since they last forever, so I'm particularly pleased with these purchases.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you on the chairs. I love school chairs, too.

Anonymous said...

I hope you don't get rid of the moss. It's a beautiful and amazing plant. The japanese have gardened with moss for centuries. I am trying to encourage the moss in my yard to spread. There are also sources for buying moss. One is mossacres.com

the reluctant remodeler said...

Thanks, Cat and Emily, for your comments. Emily, I am most decidedly removing the moss, sorry. It's one thing in a formal Japanese garden, yet another in a spotty Oregon yard in desperate need of landscaping. If you have success with your moss garden, though, I'd love to see pictures!

CDeforrest said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CDeforrest said...

Hehe, good luck with that hose twirler.. Is that the auto-windy kind that uses a little water wheel to reverse it? If so, it most definitely will not last forever. We got a little over a year out of ours before it started...winding...verry..slowly and was basically useless. Went back to the wind-it-your-own-damn-self kind. Ah well, so much for the water wheel.