January 31, 2007

history of house

A recent conversation with our neighbor yielded these tidbits:

Our houses were once one lot. This is evident from the plat map, but it was nice to get confirmation. Unfortunately, we were once a dump. The ground underneath the incense cedar was the "house dump" for the farmhouse next door, and still contains the detritus of the early twentieth century. Some people get art prints and antique furniture, I get old bottles and trash. Oh well. The vinca covers it. Thank god for groundcover.

Worse yet (I think), the yard served as a septic field for the farmhouse.

The neighbor built a short cement retaining wall between our properties, literally to retain the soil from shifting under his house. The soil here is heavy clay, but the bedrock and underlayers are softer, so the ground is actually more plastic than one might expect. He said his house is over an inch lower on the west side. In light of that news, I'm impressed that our crawl space construction is so solid. Maybe it's all the dumpage under the house.

There was once a heavy rail line going down our street. We were surprised to hear this, since our land was an unclaimed, swampy meadow for the first half of the twentieth century, but it does make sense when one considers the town was on one end and the old airport was on the other end of the street, I suppose. Light rail would be for carrying people, heavy for goods?

2 comments:

House on the Corner said...

Wow, thats really great though that you were able to find out the history. I always wish I could go back in time to see what my house and neighborhood looked like when it was new.

Anonymous said...

Hi there!
I would like to burn a theme at here. There is such a nicey, called HYIP, or High Yield Investment Program. It reminds of ponzy-like structure, but in rare cases one may happen to meet a company that really pays up to 2% daily not on invested money, but from real profits.

For several years , I make money with the help of these programs.
I'm with no money problems now, but there are heights that must be conquered . I make 2G daily, and my first investment was 500 dollars only.
Right now, I managed to catch a guaranteed variant to make a sharp rise . Turn to my web site to get additional info.

[url=http://theblogmoney.com] Online investment blog[/url]