January 15, 2007

our poor windows...

...are marred by the detritus of years of cheap-ass blind hardware. Because the previous owners LOVED screws, we have had to unscrew and dig and pry off dozens of screws and nails. For one window in my study, I counted eleven huge screws and four nails to put up one small venetian blind.


Last night, my husband attacked one of the two remaining Philliped windows. This one was in the little bathroom. They put up their venetian blind inside the window frame, making it so much harder to get out. Just to insure that no one could ever pry it off, they used screws, nails, a block of wood, and three different fittings. Since I didn't take pictures of the other Philliped windows, I snapped a few for posterity:

Why just use screws when you can use a big-ass nail, too? Note that nail has no head.


Ah, nothing like some old drape hardware to add visual interest to the room. Note the wood block that is holding the plastic fitting into place in the window well.

I could do a bit of filling with wood putty, but the windows are pretty much damaged beyond repair. It's just cosmetic, but it's a freakin' drag.

3 comments:

Greg said...

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times: Some people should not be allowed to own a drill with a screw driver attachment.

senthil said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
the reluctant remodeler said...

Thanks, Greg. I couldn't agree more. Or screws.

Senthil, are you a bot? I noticed your comment is also your only blog entry and it makes no sense in connection with my post. If you are a real person, please don't advertise on my blog. Your comment will be deleted.