I'm finished with the hemming project. It wasn't nearly as bad as I feared; still, it took some bravery and fortitude to do it. I learned that:
1) you shouldn't pre-cut the curtains weeks before measuring, because what you think is long at the time is too short. I have one set (of four) that is two inches shorter than the others for this reason, and the hem is not cute.
2) stitch witchery is da bomb. (I am told that my two favorite adjectives, "sweet" and "awesome," are hopelessly out of fashion, and I sound as outdated as hippy who says "groovy" and a serviceman who says "swell," so I'm trying to operate at least circa 2001.) It is good even when you only have a tiny bit of fabric to stick to itself, because it dissolves away when you heat it with the iron (see #1). It is also good as a liquid bandaid when you mistakenly cut both layers of curtain and are left with a gash in the fabric.
3) You shouldn't use a rigid tape measure on fabric. I knew this one, but I had forgotten it until the project was almost done. Oh well.
4) Now that I know how to patch walls, moving around drapery rods is no big deal.
5) Buying a bunch of drapery rods in different sizes from one manufacturer is a very good thing. That way, you can move, mismatch, and swap finials and hardware as necessary. I bought these Beme International "Library" (acorn) and "S-hook" rods for a song at Ross several months ago, and mixed and matched the packages to make the "Library" rods double-hung with the simpler ball finial for the sheers.
6) That ghetto blond wood dining room table makes a great ironing board.
7) Having a husband with common sense, measurements to die for, and a keen sense of detail -- priceless.
2 comments:
Please - what should we say instead of swet and awesome?
You'll have to ask someone cool!
Post a Comment