Yes, without a doubt, Joyce gives good snow. If there's anything I could change (and I'm presumptuous like that), I'd take out that phrase "His soul swooned slowly," with its alliterative nonsense and adolescent drama, not to mention physical impossibility, but the description of snow falling faintly and faintly falling, slowly, thickly, obliquely falling snow, oh yes. It wraps you up in its glory, that paragraph. When it snows I can't resist the temptation to say:
Yes, the newspapers were right: snow was general all over Eugene.
Say it with me. You know you want to.
Having grown up in the Midwest, I know what a drag snow can be. But the thrill of waking up with the world white, a smoke grey sky and blue light, ahhhh, that's one of the greatest parts of being alive.
We only get snow here once or twice a year, and it's wet and doesn't stay long. But it sure is pretty. I don't have many good angles in my yard for snow pictures, but I did snap this shot of our grape vines and butterfly bush/tree. Trust me, though, snow is general all over my yard.
1 comment:
Good for people to know.
Post a Comment