Some people suffer a house that has been completely unrenovated, abused by generations of pet owners, smokers, free-livers, and goddamn communists. OK, wait, I got carried away there. I actually like some goddamn communists and many free-livers. But I do not like a half-ass job. That's what we have here at Raccoon Tree Acres. The previous owners tried to renovate, and did a sloppy, cheap job, with materials that weren't meant to last more than 10 years and would require the same teardown and full replacement when they broke down. Because of this, we missed the chance to have insulated pipes and walls, for example. The penny wise pound foolish method of renovation.
The worst example of this we have found so far is the bathroom plumbing, all done by hand by someone who should have never lifted a pipe wrench. The plumber (after replacing the toilet held together by a brick) replaced the yucky old faucet on the master bath. While under the sink, he let us know that the rust stain that kept appearing on the sink drain was not because of a tiny well that only went to the bathroom. No, it was because someone had piped the sink with gas piping instead of water piping. All for a savings of a couple of bucks. The pipes are thus unprotected, and are rusting on the inside.
I guess I can stop taking an iron formula multivitamin now.
No comments:
Post a Comment