July 21, 2007

fortification fridays - brandied sweet-n-sour cherries


The New York Times published a recipe for brandied cherries last week, but it was based on sweet cherries. I'm after the holy grail, sour or pie cherries, those fragile ruby beauties that last for only a few days off the tree, and only a few weeks in the market. I threw together this recipe just before leaving for my Evel Knievel Tribute Road Trip with Mr. Reluctant. See you in a week or so!

Based on a recipe for something wonderful called Cherry Bounce, which uses vodka and wild cherries that grow in Louisiana instead of brandy and the mix of sweet and sour cherries I used below, my recipe makes as many brandied cherries as you like. Freeze the rest of the sour cherries you've been able to score with a little sugar to use for pies and cherry soup later in the summer.

Brandied Sweet-n-Sour Cherries

Sterilize two or more quart jars. Buy sour cherries and a few dark cherries, for pretty contrast. Wash cherries well and discard blemished cherries. They don't last long, so use them soon after purchase. Remove the stems but don't bother to pit cherries. The pits add a slightly almondy flavor to the liqueur.

Layer cherries with granulated sugar to cover each layer. Cover with a decent-quality brandy. Store in a dark place for a month. Shake every few days in the first couple of weeks to dissolve sugar and aid maceration. Enjoy over ice cream, use to fortify sangria, add to fondue, sip as a cordial or use as maraschino cherries in Manhattans and the like. That's all, folks!

1 comment:

StuccoHouse said...

Lol...I can brandied cherries every year. All I can say is be careful who you share them with....because they will forever be bugging you every year after about when they can expect thier cherries. Even the lady that cuts my hair politely inquires if I'm canning the cherries each year...and if she can have a jar. They are addicting!