July 2, 2007

an apple (and a plum) a day


Name that fruit! I was surprised to find my plum tree bore bright tiny, red fruit with an amber flesh. Word on the street says that it's been a bad year for plums, and they are all small, so I'm not sure about the regular size. The poor little apple tree is suffering from peach leaf curl, I think, and it bore a bunch of fruit on exactly ONE branch. I'm not sure what to do about that. I think the apples may be Granny Smiths. They aren't quite ripe yet, and it's surprisingly early for them to be ripe at all, so I just have no clue. Anyone have any ideas on what kinds of plums or apples these might be?

EDITED TO ADD: Turns out the crops that need pollination, such as apples, didn't set well this year because it was so cold and the bees amscrayed. Only the sunniest branches of many fruit trees were visited by bees, hence the weird fruit set patterns.

The weeding project is going pretty well. The ground cover sucks eggs, man.

No comments: