May 8, 2007

irises, noxious weed, and windows

Still working on the iris beds along the south and east sides of the house. Wow, they were weedy. It took forever. Now I'm ready to lay some landscape fabric and bark at the border.

I discovered I'm vehemently allergic to one weed whose name I don't know. Realized that my eyes were watering and my nose got stuffed up immediately when I stuck my head in the irises, then, when I emerged, the symptoms abated. Being a scientist (ok, let's pretend), I organized test trials posthaste, and crushed and then snorted fumes from several individual weed species. I found the culprit, pictured below. Anyone know its name? It grows about a foot upward and in several shoots, and its viney stem is prickly yet soft, and breaks off at segments very easily.

We've also started working on fixing the storms/screens for the windows, as pictured above. We've already been approached several times by contractors looking for a quick buck on installing vinyl windows. Our idea is that if these aluminum storm windows have lasted 50 years, we ain't gonna easily replace 'em with crap that will last for 5. More research is clearly necessary.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

I don't know what it is, but I do know where you can probably find out -- http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/weeds/

I wish I could be so lucky as to only have those allergic reactions when my head is stuck next to a particular weed, but I'm simply a constant mess these days.

Your iris bed is lovely!!

Anonymous said...

Looks like some sort of spurge.