May 6, 2007
bepurpled, bothered, and bewildered
...am I. Having bought the house in October, I knew that the colors of the flowering periennials would be a mystery until spring. One always hopes for good taste. Alas, it was not to be.

I knew the vinca vine under the incense cedar would be purple and the dreaded wisteria tree would be purple. I was willing to accept the lilacs as purple (because I love them anyway), but I really didn't expect EVERYTHING to be purple, and purple over the yard all at once. The irises that border the east and south sides of the house are all deep purple (with fascinating yellow middles, which is cool). Even the rhodedendrons are a lavender shade of pink. We have purple grapes and purple plums and purple lavender. The columbine rhizomes I transplanted from our last place turned out to be purple, too. Looks like we're in for purple weather. Just please, long-ago previous owners, please don't let the roses be purple.

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Ha! I like your new category...'suckage of previous owners'…I should make that category myself. I'll trade you for our neon pink, white AND purple azaleas which are vomiting their blossoms all over our front and back yard. The only thing that hasn't bloomed yet are the rhododendrons, I'll take a gander that they will be either pink or purple. I nearly have a seizure just looking at all the massive amounts of bad color next to our dreary brown house.
Post a Comment