May 12, 2007

fortification fridays - simple secret steak

It's so simple, you'll be amazed. The night before you plan to grill your steaks, smear them liberally with dijon mustard, then salt and pepper them well. The vinegar in the mustard tenderizes the meat, and the flavor enhances the richness of the steak.

We served the simple secret steaks with the following at our BBQ last night:

Monchego, homemade dilly bean pickles, nicoise olives, and ajvar (roasted red pepper dip)
Couscous with root vegetables and zucchini
Spinach and romaine salad with avocado dressing and spring peas
Roasted oyster mushrooms and peppers
Strawberries macerated in blueberry liqueur with clove whipped cream
Homemade brownies
Oregon pinot noirs

2 comments:

YardbirdSax said...

Wow! Now that is a feast! I love this time of year, if for no other reason than grilling. If it were my choice (and my wife mostly does leave it up to me, since I'm the family cook), I'd make dinner that way every night. I'll have to try that recipe some time!

the reluctant remodeler said...

Thanks! It's as easy as pie. Actually, much easier than pie.