March 24, 2007

mellow yellow


We're going to paint the horribly dull beige exterior of Raccoon Tree Acres buttery yellow, with unsalted butter trim. OK, those aren't the real color names (which are Jonquil and Morning Sun), but that's what I'm thinking. We've been very happy with the Sherman Williams line (with which we get a substantial discount thanks to a friend), so I tried to match the color to the warmest, friendliest house we found. I called the professional painters who did the house pictured with a white picket fence, and they were kind enough to give me the name of their paint (a custom blend with IGI), but unless a larger swath of the yellow I have tested in the first picture turns out too yellow, I'm going to go with SW.

Just for reference, the last picture is the ugly current color, in the ugliest part of my house next to the driveway, under the now chopped off branches of the ugliest birch tree in the world. With the birch, whose fall foliage is yellow, we also have a Douglas maple with dark yellow fall foliage and the Siberian elm, with yellow fall foliage, too. I think it will look spectacular in the autumn, a rich little yellow cottage glowing in the sun. It will also look nice in the spring, with the masses of yellow and white daffodils, and the red camellias and salmon quince flowers. And in the summer, if you put our house under your chin, it will tell you if you are in love.

Now who wants to come over and paint?

2 comments:

Chris said...

That's a great yellow - just what I was thinking for our place. Unfortunately it's almost exactly the same colour as our next door neighbour's place. I'm thinking with some careful planning I might be able to organise a midnight raid. With 20 people working between midnight and dawn we could paint theirs raspberry and ours their shade of yellow. I'm looking into the legal ramifications at the moment. Cross your fingers for us!

the reluctant remodeler said...

Ah, that's too bad. I was worried about the other house being so close (a few blocks), but next door is worse. I say give 'em the raspberry, by all means.