March 2, 2007

fortification fridays - winter watercress salad with pears, hazelnuts and gorgonzola


First, I have to mention how much I love my husband for going across town and schlepping the table back here in the rain when I couldn't fit it into the car myself. He was tired and wet when he biked home from work, and he still did it. Then he made dinner. And did the dishes. I'm not sure where he got the phenomenal burst of energy, but I'm amazed and grateful and happy he's my husband.

But back to business.

This week's recipe is a response to my lust for spring greens. I'd almost forgotten how good winter watercress can be. They sell hydroponic packs at big grocery stores that are younger and less dirty than their bunched cousins. They are also, being younger, less flavorful. Your choice. As for the hazelnuts, I live in the hazelnut capital of the world. The Willamette Valley used to have hazelnut groves and farms and factories. There are still plenty of growers, so we can get them fresh at the farmer's market in the fall and stick 'em in the freezer for a few months. If you aren't so lucky, substitute walnuts, toasted for a few minutes in the toaster oven.

Winter Watercress Salad with Pears, Hazelnuts, and Gorgonzola

Kitchen needs: Just a big bowl
Serves: 2 for dinner, 4 as side salads

1 large bunch of watercress, enough to fill your big bowl
1 cup roasted, unsalted hazelnuts, chopped
2 very ripe D'anjou or bosc pears
1/2 cup crumbled gorgonzola or other good-quality blue-veined cheese

Chop the leaves off the watercress after washing well in several changes of water, and chop up stems (if tender) in 1-2 inch lengths. Toss in the rest of the ingredients. You should have about half greens/half other ingredients. You won't need salt or dressing, since the cheese "melts" in to the salad when it comes in contact with the ripe pears. Add some black pepper or olive oil if you're feeling slick. Enjoy the green.

3 comments:

Chris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chris said...

(Oops, I accidentally deleted my comment...sorry! Anyway, that sounds sooo good. I absolutely love that sort of salad. Maybe use some of that delicious Rogue Valley Creamery blue cheese to make it an Oregon original...yum! I also wanted to say how much I love the Willamette Valley. My family and I vacation down on the beautiful Oregon coast every summer and we always stop in several of the little towns in the valley. Hazelnuts aren't the only great thing you guys have, though. Your Pinot Noirs are also out of this world!

the reluctant remodeler said...

Mmm...Rogue Valley Creamery. The Pinots are great, aren't they? Yum.