A red door for you for Valentine's Day. It's the vintage hollow-core, peeling version of my heart. Happy Valentine's Day!
OK, it's not for you. It's for Laurie, who is looking at 40s/50s-style doors, and I'm posting it along with some images of the exterior of the front of the house where it resides. These were taken before we moved in, and I've already -- as you may recall -- ripped out the christmas tree and mums and porch light. We're working on the rest. Alas, the house is still baby-ass beige and will be for a while.
For more on modern doors, check out Laurie's post and David Erwin (of Erwin House fame)'s response, in which he reveals he is starting a modern door repro business. Wow. So I guess my heart's name is "The Grover." I always suspected it.
4 comments:
Thanks! I've seen your style door with the flush trim and the vertical grooves, but not in Texas. I had wondered if they were hollow or a real v-groove door.
And checkout your cool doorknob. There's a guy that makes new ones for eichler homes.
http://www.eichlerforsale.com/Eichler_Door_Kit
Hey, David! Thanks! I was wondering what the original knob looked like, and how it fit into the old brass escutcheon -- now I have a sense of it! I'm dying to replace the fake shiny brass knob and deadbolt.
We have that same door (exept ours isn't a fancy red, but a boring brown) on our 1950's rambler in MD. I never really thought much of it other than it doesn't let in much light and has no peep hole (the people before us put up this tacky covering on the windows so you can't see in or out).
Sorry to hear about your tacky covering, Julie. Can you peel it off?
Our door is red, yes, but nothing but fancy. I'm sad to say I found the can of spray paint the POs used. Since they did so little, and only when they absolutely had to, I hate to think of what the door looked like before it was spraypainted.
Post a Comment