June 26, 2007

garden update


I'm currently planning my attack on the garden. I gave myself a full year since moving in to see what plants we have and how the sun travels through the yard, and I'm itching to change everything. A neighbor lent us a copy of Ann Lovejoy's Organic Garden Design School, which I'm reading with relish. Ann Lovejoy writes a garden column in a Seattle newspaper and teaches classes on organic gardening in the Pacific Northwest. I'd particularly recommend her books to people who live in the colder parts of the West Coast.

In other garden news, I discovered (sadly) that our butterfly bush tree has purple blooms. What a surprise. The transplanted yucca is doing well on the strip, but I was rather disgusted by the ones I've seen in full bloom. Could that be an uglier flower? Several red and white dahlia (Yokokobe) are growing well in the front yard bed. Being away intermittently for several weeks, however, has taken a toll on my weeding, and I have much work to do in both the front and back. I'm getting better at just pulling out plants without thinking there might be a hope for them, once I've identified them.

The vegetable garden is doing well. The soil really does need work. I kind of regret not putting in raised beds, but I installed a very rudimentary soaker hose irrigation system, and everything looks good. You can see the hoses, the tomatoes, the cucumber hills, the brussells sprouts, and the tiny beans (Maxibel bush and Liana yard-long pole) starting to grow. Ignore the fence. I try to.

No comments: