April 13, 2007

fortification fridays - berry surprises


It's too early for berries, you exclaim. Why yes, indeed, it is. But the stores insist on selling those huge, sour, bright red things they call "California strawberries." Mine even say "Crown Jewels," referring, obviously, to the fact that they are as hard and inedible as a diamond. So I bring you two recipes for berries: one for right now, and one for later. The one for right now is perfect for the homeowner who's been out in the dirt. It celebrates spring, mud, and making the most of a subpar foundation. The one for later is for dreamers and planners: imagine yourself out on your new patio, your new garden in bloom, your new roof eliminating all the worries in the world, sipping a delicious cocktail full of summery goodness. You (will) deserve it. Without further ado, I bring you Spring Strawberry Mud Mask and Summer Blueberry Liqueur.

Strawberry Mud Mask

Without fail, I do this mask every spring, before the strawberries start to taste good. It really does feel nice, making your skin tingle and glow pinkly. Apparently, strawberries are full of not only Vitamin C, but salicyclic acid, which freshens the skin by removing dead cells.


Take three or four fresh berries, chop them, and then puree them in the food processor with about 2 tablespoons of a pre-prepared mud mask. I use the basic supermarket brand, but you could get fancy and make your own with rhassoul mud, yogurt, and/or honey. You just need something to bind the berries. Go for it. And let me know your recipe! You can also grind down the berries by hand, but it's important to completely smash them, or else you will have large berry bits on your face, to wit:

Spread mud mask on your face, chest, feet, wherever you need it, and leave on for 15-20 minutes. It will dry a bit, but not completely. I advise doing this before a shower, because you will get strawberries in your hair, no matter how hard you try. Wipe off mask with a clean, warm, washcloth, and rinse in kitchen sink.

Summer Blueberry Liqueur

You will need several months processing time to make and age this liqueur. Ideally, use blueberries you picked last summer and froze whole. If this isn't possible, use organic frozen blueberries.

2 cups frozen blueberries
1.5 cups vodka
zest from one organic lemon, in long strips (use vegetable peeler, making sure to get only yellow part)
.75 cups simple syrup (2 parts sugar, 1 part water)


Don't worry about the simple syrup yet. Let blueberries thaw, mush them up well to release juices. You are using frozen berries because they are much juicier than fresh ones. In a quart jar with a tight-fitting, removable lid, add the blueberries, the vodka, and the lemon peel. Steep for at least one month, shaking gently every couple of days.

Now worry about the simple syrup. Boil two cups sugar to one cup water. Watch carefully once it starts boiling, because there will be a point where the liquid will suddenly go from cloudy to clear. When this happens, and the liquid is completely clear, you have succeeded in making simple syrup. Let cool, then use 3/4 cup for this recipe and the rest for your iced tea or lime rickeys. Can be stored in the refrigerator in a clean bottle.

Open the blueberry jar, and strain the liquid from the berries. Filter the liquid through a coffee filter fitted atop a large funnel, pressing down on the berries as much as you can to get out all the tasty berriness. Put berry residue in the freezer and use as alcoholic topping for ice cream or something (I haven't used mine yet). Place liquid in a clean quart jar, then add 3/4 cup syrup to liqueur, shake well, and age for another month or two in a dark place.

I have to say that this is the first time I've made this liqueur, so I'm not sure how it will turn out. It smells heavenly, though, and my plan is to serve blueberry gimlets (liqueur, soda water, and some lime) to celebrate the arrival of the 2007 blueberry crop. Many of the recipes online will tell you to add cloves or coriander -- I prefer a clean blueberry taste, but you might like something spicier.

1 comment:

Felicia said...

yum
if I drink the second, I'll eat the first!